Quinces are in season at the moment and while a wee bit ugly and totally inedible when raw, the magical transformation that takes place when cooking a quince is worth the effort. Quinces are full of fibre, Vitamin C, and potassium. Here is a simple recipe to get you started!
- 1 quince pealed and chopped (make sure you cut out the seeds and rind)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 spoon of honey (or coconut nectar etc; I wasn’t very generous with this, you may like a sweeter touch)
- 1 cinnamon quill
- A few cloves
- 1 lemon chopped in half
- Put all ingredients into a saucepan apart from the quince. Bring to a simmer to ensure honey as dissolved.
- Add the chopped quince and cook over a low heat for at least 40minutes, preferable up to 2hrs. You will know when it is cooked as the quince turns a beautiful pink colour.
- Serve with some shredded coconut and coconut yoghurt (optional). Enjoy!